Data from the most recent Democratic primary showed that women made up over 62% of the electorate, up from 54.7% in 2018. This proves how important it is for Democratic leaders to fight for policies like abortion rights, equal pay, paid family leave, and other initiatives that will make our state and nation a more equitable place for women. Women in NJ have continuously shown up for our party, and we will continue to show up for them.
GOV. MURPHY UPDATE
On Tuesday July 5th, Governor Murphy signed “the most comprehensive package of gun violence prevention policies passed in the country this year.” The seven bills signed into law are a step forward in making New Jersey safer for everyone. The package:
- Allows Attorney General to bring cause of action for certain public nuisance violations arising from sale or marketing of firearms
- Requires firearm owners who become New Jersey residents to obtain firearm purchaser identification cards and register handguns acquired out-of-State
- Upgrades certain crimes related to manufacturing firearms from third degree to second degree
- Revises definition of destruction device to include certain .50 caliber rifles
- Regulates sale of handgun ammunition and develops system of electronic reporting of handgun ammunition sales
- Requires training for issuance of firearms purchaser identification card and permit to purchase handgun under certain circumstances; provides that firearms purchaser identification card include photograph and thumb print and remain valid for ten years.
- Requires firearm retailers to sell microstamping-enabled firearms upon determination of availability by Attorney General
In light of the events in Highland Park over the July 4th weekend and in Uvalde and Buffalo and, in fact, everywhere around the country, these reasonable measures are being applauded by major gun safety advocates such as Everytown for Gun Safety, Moms Demand Action, Brady United Against Violence, and David Hogg – a Parkland school shooting survivor. This is a major victory for the people of New Jersey, who overwhelmingly believe in common sense gun safety.
CONGRESSIONAL CANDIDATE SPOTLIGHT
As a lifelong public servant, Tim Alexander is a retired law enforcement officer, prosecutor, and civil rights attorney running for Congress in NJ’s 2nd District, home of Congressman Jeff Van Drew, who abandoned his party and the people he represents.
Tim is running to protect women’s access to healthcare and bodily autonomy, bring economic development to South Jersey, give veterans the healthcare they deserve, expand and improve Medicare, and implement police training reforms. He will be a champion for South Jersey in Washington DC. Visit his website to get involved: www.timalexanderforcongress.com/volunteer
PRESIDENT BIDEN UPDATE
On Wednesday, President Biden stood with union workers and retirees in Cleveland, Ohio in order to announce the final rule implementing the American Rescue Plan’s Special Financial Assistance program, which was created to provide critical assistance to working families and jump start our economic recovery post-COVID.
Without The American Rescue Plan, which protects retirees’ pension benefits, workers and retirees participating in pension plans faced the potential of not receiving the full benefits they earned to support them and their families in retirement. This Special Financial Assistance program will ensure that millions of families facing benefits cuts receive their full benefits. The Democratic Party is unabashedly pro-union and pro-families, and we continue to fight for families all over the country.
— Chairman LeRoy J. Jones, Jr.
P.S. – Our Veterans Caucus is re-launching with a Kickoff Event on July 27th. Find more info here!